One of our family’s new year’s resolutions in 2012 is to give more than we gave in 2011. Like most resolutions or goals, this won’t get accomplished simply by having good intentions. So along with budgeting, we laid out the 3 easy steps below to help get us going in the right direction. Enjoy!
- Contact your favorite non-profits. Let them know you’re making decisions on where to give this year, and you wanted to meet with them to discuss what they have planned.
- After meeting with your favorite organizations, decide how much of your total income you want to give for the year and divide 90% of that total amongst the organizations you plan to fund. The remaining 10% will allow you to give to those good causes that you find out about after you’ve already made you plans for the year. If nothing comes up, you can surprise the other organizations you already support with a nice “holiday bonus’ donation.
- Issue a formal pledge to each organization. There are few things that scream commitment louder than signing your name. Making your intentions to give a specific amount public through a formal pledge to the organization not only inspires you to fulfill your commitment, but also helps the organization make plans or adjustments to their fund strategy for the year.
Philanthropy should be fun! Enjoy the process and encourage others to do the same.